i/r/t COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN
- Jenn: But wait, what do you think happens? Does she become a vampire?
- Molly: I don't know. Probably not.
- Jenn: I think probably not too -- but then what happens to their LOOOOVE? They can't be together forever if she's human!
- Molly: They can still be together for a while. She's only in high school.
- Jenn: True.
- Molly: Did you learn nothing from Buffy?
We’re right to push for diversity, we have to, but it is only step one of a long journey. Lack of racial diversity is a symptom. The underlying illness is institutional racism. It walks hand in hand with sexism, cissexism, homophobia, and classism. To go beyond this same conversation we keep having, again and again, beyond tokens and quick fixes, requires us to look the illness in the face and destroy it. This is work for white people and people of color to do, sometimes together, sometimes apart. It’s work for writers, agents, editors, artists, fans, executives, interns, directors, and publicists. It’s work for reviewers, educators, administrators. It means taking courageous, real-world steps, not just changing mission statements or submissions guidelines.
love Older, & love this.
← Earlier posts Page 1 of 29